Monday, April 28, 2008

Peace on the roads

The rickshaws declared the strike... Man! .. The first thing that came to my mind - now that sooo many people are sooo dependant on these rickies it will complete havok on the roads! What will poeple do?? In fact, I myself get into these situations sometimes, when i have to reach my pick up point and I am late. N guess what .. it happened exactly the day of the strike - I had to literally run to the stop... But what do i see on the roads? It was so peaceful- no traffic, no honking, no drrrrrr sounds of the noisy riks! It was so lovely and you could actually see the roads raher than jush the traffic moving at a snail pace. Reach office and most people have the same opinion .. Much peaceful travel to work... Reached so soon... N most importantly .. less pollution! U didnt need an oxygen mask on the roads that day! Wow!! Hurray to the rickshaw strike! :) Even people depending on the public transport were happy. One of them said "Lets support the Rickshaw Walla strike for whatever the cause; something good has come out of it."
I know Rickshaws are required. We cant do completely without them. But the amount of rikkies on the roads in the city today has gone up too high I realized that day. N we can easily do without that big a number grrrrring on our roads, making it difficult for us to breath. I think the authorities need to take another look at this. What say guys?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya it sure does reduce pollution and made city and roads clear...but for the common people life without rickshaw is impossible..

Manjari Rai said...

Rather against that...specially in Pune..auto drivers quote unreasonable fares and often do ply by meter.
Good safe buses/ cycle tracks will be a far better alternative to these.

Prachiti Pingle said...

Actually .... after reading your blog I remembered thosed rick-packed roads in Andheri(E).

Although we all need and use ricks quite often, but I am sure such a break must be a reliever of all those of the "unwanted" rick package!!